Re: [NTLK] Software prices

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 07:30:46 PDT

I believe this may be a reply to a comment I made earlier but it seems
to have skipped off thread at least in my mail app.

I may be wrong and apologize if this is taken the wrong way, but I do
find some apps to be rather expensive, maybe that's because I live in
Poland and the average wage here is not exactly up to par.

I don't think the argument of comparing pay TV on a 20 year old TV is
quite the same. Obviously you agree with that comparison.

Essentially it appears (and here is were my apology may apply) that
some software which has been last updates in '98 or thereabouts are
sometimes on sale between 30-50 dollars US, I find that rather
expensive compared to cable which has been probably upgraded several
times since then.

I appreciate your opinion and respect their validity and point of view.
I simply talking about software which is still at version 1.0 and has
been last updated as far back as Newton's discontinuation, when
compounded with the fact that software still has a hefty price tag all
considerations due, makes it a rather unfair proposition. Leaving us
scratching our heads wondering if the developer is taking advantage of
a situation and capitalizing more then serving the immediate needs a
few who have to run technical hurdles to achieve at today's
technological pace.

None the less, these are my opinions and observations, which may be
inaccurate and as such, please forgive me if I am speaking out of
ignorance. Not being a developer my self, I deeply respect the
incredible efforts made by contemporary developers and to those I would
gladly dish out a comparable amount of cash for their current efforts
rather then supporting someone who owns copyrights and is still
distributing essentially software that will never see a revision for as
long as we are here.

Thanks for the opportunity