Re: [NTLK] OT New Technology, mobile office

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 15:00:08 PDT

>From: j g <atcnn2_at_yahoo.se>
>Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:23:32 +0200
>
>I was on the web today to check on the most advanced mobile phone ever
>Sony Ericsson 900 (if you would like to have at home you have to pay ca
>1500USD first).

That would be the P910 ;)

>I say WOW!! What a fantastic software.

Owning a P800 I know how disappointed you must feel looking at this device. In fact, it is pretty advanced. For a telephone. Not for a PIM or maybe even PDA unit. I use it for contacts & dates, for the following reasons:

-> It is always with me, as in always, it fits in my pocket
-> therefore I always have my contacts & dates with me
-> having color for dates is nice, actually
-> a contact can be equipped with a picture of usable quality. If the given contact calls me, the picture pops up so I can decide whether I want that conversation or not.
-> I can check auctions on eBay, or make an instant PayPal transferm, or whatever other funky internet magic from the palm of my hand wherever there is a mobile network available.
-> all within a unit that fits in my pocket.

I never saw it as a PDA, it is a PIM-Phone (yes I know, and the size and color add to that ;)). I allows you to do some very neat things that you could otherwise do with... well, a Handspr..PalmO..whatevertheirnameistoday Treo, or a Nokia Brick. I always knew it could not replace the Newton for real work (screensize). In fact, the Newton also makes a better PIM, and represents more mature technology. The list of disappointments is too long (OSX sync, speed, crashes, PDF?!, etc.) . The P800 is a killer phone with a usable calendar, usable contact management, and a high price to pay for being an early adaptor. But it fits in my pocket.

Oliver

--
Twenty years ago we worried about a nuclear strike by the Russians, now we worry about a nuclear strike by a General Protection Fault or a Blue Screen of Death. We've come a long way, baby. / AsTheAppleTurns on http://makeashorterlink.com/?G28812E39 / Honey, do we still have the keys to the fallout shelter?