Re: [NTLK] installing NewtonWorks?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 09:39:59 PDT

Coleff, Patrick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I used to have an eMate, which came with NewtonWorks, which I loved. But the
> eMate is gone and now I just have my MP120 (with 2.0 OS) and NewtonWorks is
> not on it. Is there any way to install it, or does it have to come factory
> on the machine?
> I really don't like Notes (besides for quick ..well, notes) and I have
> Availworks on there right now, but I liked NewtonWorks so much better.
> Help?
> thanks much
> Patrick

Newton Works requires a MP2x00 or Emate to function (requires 2.1 OS).
It will not work on a Mp120. Availworks is about your best bet. You
can adjust the page size so you won't be scrolling all around the page
while typing. But it is a hack and you have to know how to use a soup
editor to do it and you need to change it back before doing faxes,
printing, layouts, or anything else that depends on the page size. I
posted the details a while back, do a search in the archives for
"Availworks" and you should find it. One of these days I will try to
make a package to do this more easily.

I agree with you that Newton Works is a lot better in most respects.
But I do find it quite serviceable with the page fix. It always
surprised me that they did not allow for settable margins. Also Works
Better from Landware is a great package. Granted not all the packages
will work with Availworks, but the thesaurus, spell checker and pro
point will (as it will in all apps). Those three apps make it worth the
$10 for sure.

-Dan