Re: [NTLK] 3.3v/5v and newton destruction

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 11:37:14 PDT

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:27:20PM -0400, J.Edward Boniakowski wrote:
> I just put a card into my newton without realizing it existed in 3.3v
> and 5v revisions. The driver wasn't installed, so it popped up 'card
> not recognized'. As my newton still works, does this mean it's a 5v
> card, or does the newton breakage only occur when the system gets past
> that point (ie when the driver is loaded and the system tries to access
> the card)? (It's a smc 2632w fwiw)

Very few things in life are instant death. Cutting open the core of a
golf ball doesn't release a poison gas to kill every 3rd grader in a 4
block radius.

Similarly, inserting a 3v card isn't instant death for newton and card.
It's "just" out of spec and liable to push bad amounts of current in bad
directions at levels that can damage stuff. It's like over-reving an
engine: 6,001 RPM doesn't mean instant thrown piston rod, but it does
mean that it's up into the range where the engineers don't trust it
anymore. You got the card out quickly, and perhaps didn't overstress
anything *enough* to cause damage.

--
14. The hero is not entitled to a last kiss, a last cigarette, or any other
    form of last request.