Re: [NTLK] MUST have a router for communication?

From: Matthew Reidsma (lists_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 19:47:34 PDT

Round about the afternoon of 9/13/04 7:40 PM, Fred Bauman
(emailfred_at_comcast.net) yammered thusly:

>> What is the simplest setup to connect to a broadband connection and
>> properly connect to OSX?

>I use Comcast cable internet. Has anyone any experience in getting on
>line with them? I'd love to be able to download news feeds and
>the occasional email. <snip>

Howdy Fred!

I just want to clarify what you are asking here: looks to me like you
want to do 2 things: connect your Newton to your OSX machine, and connect
your Newton to the Internet? If I'm on the mark, then with Comcast
(depending on the modem they gave you), the second option should be ready
to go. To connect to your computer you'll need either a router or a
crossover ethernet cable to get the Newt and OSX machine talking together.

First things first: I use Comcast wirelessly, but on occasion, before I
sent my wired ethernet card out on loan, I connected directly through the
cable modem (Toshiba PCX1100U). I assume you already have all of the
ethernet packages installed to get the card working (if not, hop over to
the Ethernet FAQ at http://www.chuma.org/Newton/Ethernet/) You'll need to
create a new Internet setup profile on the Newton, and just set it for
DHCP server. No need to fill in any of the IP or DNS info - the modem
should take care of that. Simplemail (for POP accounts) or Mail V (for
IMAP account) are great mail clients (Available on UNNA). Also check out
Raissa for your RSS feeds (http://www.40hz.org/Raissa/). I wrote an
article for the Green Edge Magazine on Raissa last year. I'm not sure
where the Green Edge moved to, but if you can't find it, let me know and
I'll send you a hard copy.

Good luck on getting connected, and make sure to let us know how you do!

>Fred Bauman
>Grand Rapids, MI USA

I'm from Grand Rapids myself, currently transplanted to Boston. We'll
have to get together next time I'm in town! What I wouldn't have given to
meet another Newton user when I was there!

Matthew Reidsma
Boston, MA U.S.A.
http://reidsrow.com