[NTLK] OT: The Logic of Evil

From: Dale A. Raby (daleraby_at_tds.net)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 07:06:36 PDT

Normally I don't forward items like this,,, but... well, you be the
judge.

Simple logic......

DOES EVIL EXIST?

This may or may not be a true story but it is a nice bit of logic

A university professor challenged his students with this question. "Did
God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, He
did!"

"God created everything?" the professor asked. "Yes, sir," the student
replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created
evil, since evil exists. And according to the principal that our works
define who we are, then God is evil." The student became quiet before
such an answer.

The professor was quite pleased with himself, and boasted to the
students that he had proven once more that the faith in God is a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question,
professor?" "Of course," replied the professor. The student stood up and
asked,"Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never
been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact, sir, cold does not exist. According to
the laws of physics, what we consider cold is, in reality, the absence
of heat. Everybody or object is susceptible to study when it has or
transmits energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of
heat. All matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that
temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe
how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued. "Professor, does darkness exist?" The professor
responded,"Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong, sir. Darkness does not
exist either. Darkness is, in reality, the absence of light. We can
study light, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to
break white light into many colors and study the various wave lengths of
each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break
into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a
certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this
correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when
there is no light present."

Finally, the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?" Now
uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said.
We see it everyday. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to
man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the
world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it
does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is
just like darkness and cold -- a word that man has created to describe
the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or
love, that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what
happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's
like
the cold that comes when there is no heat, or the darkness that comes
when there is no light."

The professor sat down. The young student's name -- Albert Einstein.