Re: [NTLK] Gmail's web interface speed

From: Gavin McKenzie (gavin.mckenzie_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 19:28:16 PDT

Yeah, the speed of gmail is amazing. It clearly appears to be
shuttling the content down to the client and then managing it in the
browser. Moving from a message back to the Inbox is instantaneous --
no server hit appears to happen. They've put alot of work into this.
It's funny given that the bag of tricks hasn't changed much in the
world of DHTML, so other webmail providers presumably could have
worked harder to provide such an experience, but haven't.

I believe that this aspect of gmail, more than the gig of space thing,
will have more of an impact on other webmail providers. When I go
back to my fastmail account I'm now noticing just how much less
responsive the user-interface is.

And, the whole approach of using labels instead of folders took some
getting used to but seems really great. Mainly because I can apply
more than one label to an email, whereas with folders I wouldn't think
of copying a message into multiple folders. (?!)

Gavin.