[NTLK] MP3 bitrates

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 14:35:05 PDT

> here's a question i asked previously, but which did not get any
> answers. what bit rate should files be encoded for streaming to the
> newton? i have a 2100, so i'd be most interested in support on that

   I assume you mean MP3, since that's the only "other" compression that
the Newton currently can do (other than MuLaw, etc). I've gotten good
quality (to my ears at least :) at 67 kbps, 22Khz sample rate, and
medium-quality VBR (I think I used VBR). I think the Newton can handle
higher bitrates without much drop-out, since other people I think have
reported going to 128 or something around that.

   The sample rate of the MP3 *must* be 11, 22, or 44 kHz (rounded).
iTunes will sample at other rates, but 11, 22, and 44 are the only ones
that work with Mad Max now..

Jim