Re: [NTLK] Corrupt Soup & NewtWorks Error

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 17:19:58 PDT

> My newtToDo soup is corrupted. What can I do to fix that? When I try to delete the soup from my card, it tries and fails.

> Also, I'm having a problem with NewtWorks. When I try to open it, it gives me error 214836232. The Newton Error Database on UNNA doesn't know what it is. Anybody know what it means?

How exactly are you trying to delete it? Are you going into
extras/storage and trying there? Also make sure that you are set to
view all stores, not just internal/card or it will just delete the soup
in the storage area you are viewing.

As for Newtworks it sounds like a items in the Newtworks soup is
corrupted. Probably the last one you worked on, and since Newtworks
automatically loads the last one you viewed you are getting that error.
    You can delete the whole Newtworks soup and that will fix it for
sure. Or you can use a soup editor to delete the item (document) you
last looked at. I just thought of another possibility, did you create a
document with a different stationary/module (drawing for example) then
delete the stationary package? Newtworks *should* just say that item's
stationary is not installed and show nothing, but I suppose that some
addon's may deviate from the standard.

I would backup the whole Newt before doing anything more. With
corruption you never know for sure if it will just stay in one soup or
continue to spread to all the other soups. With two soups acting up, I
am wondering if the corruption is spreading. If other soups start to
fail time for a brainwipe. If the corruption is bad enough that you
can't backup, you may have to use your most recent backup (I hope you
keep them up to date).

If the corruption is not spreading, then perhaps you can just delete the
soups and start working again. But if you get errors when trying to
delete (or any other odd errors), backup and brainwipe as soon as you
can. I know some people that started having corruption problems that
just a few minutes after the backup was completed the Newt no longer
functioned and *had* to be brainwiped.

Oh one other thing, it is possible to have a card corrupted and it not
spread to the internal or other cards, but I would not count on it.
Just make sure the card and newt get backed up then brainwiped if you
start having any more problems.

-Dan