Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price? Is it good?

From: Edmund Blackadder (edmund_at_helmug.gr)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 14:00:45 PDT

> - What's a fair price?

It depends. If you are in the USA, or Europe etc..

> - Is it good?

It is but it depends on what do you want to do with it..
> - What can I expect from the rechargeables, and how expensive is the
> replacement? Is a DIY hack possible to recell the pack?

Laptop batteries usually lose their performance after 1-1.5 years. So,
you have to ask the seller about the age of the battery. Replacements
cost about 120 euros. And no, you cannot recell the.

> - What do I need to check this machine for, what's the usual traps,
> bugs
> and caveats of that series?

Well, i cannot think of anything about that specific powerbook.. The
paint issue was one caveat, but it is just aesthetic..

> - What would be needed to make it talk Bluetooth?

Either a PC Card Bluetooth module or a USB Bluetooth module (OS X will
recognise it immediately)

> - Can I upgrade to modern OS X releases w/o losing the option to boot
> into
> MacOS 9.x?

Of course you can. In fact you SHOULD upgrade to OS X 10.3, it is a lot
faster on oldre machines than the previous releases.

> - Can this machine run GarageBand?

Yes it can, but do not expect breathtaking performance

> - What would I need on the PB/on the Newt to sync data?

Oh, thats a totally different story :-) nSync I suppose if you use OS
X..

> I'm not too Mac-savvy (well, I upgraded a pizzabox PPC 6100 and a
> Performa
> and maintained them for me luv for over five or six years and we
> published
> a print mag with them, but that don't make me a wizzard, least of all
> of
> anything post-1996 and better than MacOS 8.5), so kindly bear with me.
> Thanks,

We do... :-)

Kostas