Re: [NTLK] Wisconsin Newton Users Group

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 11:53:21 PDT

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 02:47:02PM -0400, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Newton users are not the kind to laugh at an ugly hack. I once connected my
> Newton to a Linux box using:
>
> -Mac modem cable (miniDIN8 - DB25M)
> -DEC "null modem" box, older than me, from some decomissioned minicomputer
> (this was composed of a PCB with hand-designed traces going from one DB25F to
> another DB25F, mounted in a black metal box)
> -PC straight-through DB25 extender (DB25M - DB25F)
> -DB25M - DB25M gender changer
> -DB25 - DB9 adapter
>
> Oh yeah, those were the days...

So long as it works.... Back in the Apple II days I got stunned looks
from people demonstrating what a BBS was at a "computer fair" in a mall
with two modems connected with nothing but a length of RJ-11 patch cord.
Only wrinkle was having to press "A" on the host end to make it send an
answer tone after the client dialed the BBS number on the dead line.

--
The trouble with things that extend your lifespan is that they happen at
wrong end. I'd hate to be wearing Depends at 85 and thinking "I gave up