Re: [NTLK] trying to get on internet

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 18:10:50 PDT

On Sep 19, 2004, at 2:39 PM, MARGARET EBBOTT wrote:

> Hello,I am trying to get on the internet with my emate. I have MSN as
> my internet servicr provider and they cannot give me all the info I
> need in the internet setup to get on the internet.They cannot give me
> the DNS numbers,they say they keep changing all the time or the domain
> name. I am using a Viking 56k modem to get on the internet with. Is
> there any way that I can get on the internet some other way? Please
> let me know if there is.Thank You, Gary Ebbott

MSN is typical microsoft garbage, and is highly over proved too.

It won't work from any standards based system (ie it's windows only) as
they require some sort of microsoft windows messenger session to be
open in order to allow the internet connection to work. This was the
case several months ago at least when my uncle ditched his PC and
bought a mac. MSN told him you can't use a mac on MSN (which is kind
of funny since they actually have an MSN for mac OSX software setup
available).

Anyhow, we got him a different ISP and it cost less then half as much
and works a lot better.

Marty