Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Longish

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 04:08:33 PDT

On Sep 23, 2004, at 12:44 PM, This Old Newt wrote:

> I have gone almost exclusive with my 12 iBook the last year and a half.
> Looking at a 12 powerbook now.
>
> Getting wavelan to work will give my newt a second wind. but now its
> just a game, datebook

IMHO, the newt is just a brick as long as you dont have a wireless
connectivity. with simon bells mail V and eckharts stuff at
http://40Hz.org/ , the newton is really getting a second lease. also,
hardware devices like the conceptronics BT card and the globetrotter
GPRS card are necessary add-ons. the MP2k was meant to be a
*MESSAGEPAD*. what i miss right now is proper syncing for OS X (go
paul/nicholas!) and the ability to read/edit word documents.

having wireless access and when there is a stable sync solution for OS
X (dates/todos, addresses, notes, works, boookmarks, keychain), the
newton is still a kick-*ss device. i like having the possibility to
move around my laptop, but i often prefer to just leave it on the desk,
since the newton is smaller and has a unchallenged battery time.

but its true, ever since the OS X entered the scene with the "instant
wake-up" feature for powerbooks, the newton became less useful in
compared to a laptop.

warmest regards,

/ ®

roman pixell, freelancer