Re: [NTLK] Newbie sound question

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 05:56:38 PDT

On Sep 23, 2004, at 1:19 PM, Alan Hughes wrote:

> My question is, if I record a note, is there anyway I can copy the
> sound file to my Mac, and convert it to another format, for archiving?
>
> My purpose is to archive interviews, by the way.
>
> Hoping someone has the answer, looking forward to lurking some more.

not really, but i remember eckhart was looking into this. he said
something about recording audio directly to MP3 on the newt, IIRC. dont
ask me how to get the sound files over to a desktop ... maybe paul g or
nowhereman (glass onion) has a clue?

then you always have the audio routing function in mail V, but its
really not the same as syncing recordings. mailing recordings longer
than a minute is a real pain. (it takes one second per second of
recorded time to send sound files as an attachment.) also, i havent
figured yet how to use the sound files on the desktop, i guess this one
can be answered by simon bell.

other than that, there is also the excellent app called voicenotes for
taking interviews. however, if youre serious taking notes with your
newton, i would recommend an external mic, which requires an audio
dongle. there is no bluetooth audio in option AFAIK, and you cannot
sync the notes to the desktop. also voicenotes is damn expensive for
being an unsupported software.

personally, i figured that for my needs the ipod was an OK device. with
griffins add-on mic, it can record (even has line in) and play back
through a tiny 2W speaker. it syncs with itunes to a special playlist,
which i find useful and unobtrusive during interviews due to a small
size. the downside is the extremely short battery time of the ipod, its
not really a healthy option unless you can charge up once a day. the
ipod uses a special battery which cannot be replaced on the go, thus
requiring an external battery pack from belkin (20h) or BTI (40h).
however, the ipod becomes veeeery clumsy with this setup.

warmest regards,

/ ®

roman pixell, freelancer
karmatic experience group