Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Longish

From: Ken Hagler (khagler_at_orange-road.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 10:06:56 PDT

At 07:41 PM 9/22/2004, you wrote:
>To put it in more literal terms, for those of us that are heavy Mac
>users AND heavy Newton users, suppose you had to make a choice between
>using only a Newton and your desktop machine for the next 3 years or a
>12" Aluminum Powerbook with Panther or Tiger and your desktop machine.
>Which combo would you choose? Would the form factor of the Newton
>versus the PowerBook be a major issue for a lot of you? I'd like hear
>if any of you have been having similar thoughts and how many of you use
>your Newton as your main computer or main portable computer?

Well, you couldn't pay me to put up with OS X on my own time (I get enough
of it at work), but even if you change it to Mac OS or WinXP on a 12"
laptop, I'd still choose the Newton. It is the form factor and the OS that
make the difference for me.

The Newton is the best available PDA (and looks likely to remain so for
years to come), and a PDA is more important to me than a laptop which
basically duplicates what I can already do with my desktop. My Newton is
small enough that I can carry it everywhere without it getting in the way,
I can use it anywhere (even on a crowded bus), I don't have to worry about
the battery dying after two or three hours, and I won't get a sore back
from carrying it.

--
                               Ken Hagler
|         Skype: khagler          |   For PGP key send mail with  |