[NTLK] eMates saved from the trash bin

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 04:55:44 PDT

> I'm new to the list...

Welcome here, Dave!

> Long story short... I left with 9 working and
> 14 non-working eMates :-)

Congratulations! Good that you were able to save them.

In order to ensure that the working ones you have won't join the
non-working ones soon, make sure to take care of the hinges or have
it done:

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

In all likeliness you will get the dead ones back to live by fixing the
display ribbon cable as described in the pages above or have the cables
fixed (or buy new ones, see http://www.pda-soft.de/ematecable.html)

> I hope that after I get new batteries and maybe some of those
> 4 meg RAM cards for everyone they will be even more
> useful

Be aware that is quite easy to rebuild these packs, see the instructions
on my site here: http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_battery_pack.html
If you don't feel up to this, there are people on this list who can and
will do this for you, myself included.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de