Re: [NTLK] printing q

From: Simon Stapleton (simon_at_tufty.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 23:50:25 PDT

On 27 Sep 2004, at 21:29, Roman Pixell <roman_at_pixell.net> wrote:

> actually, pauls reply was enough for me to get it runinng on OS X!

Cool

> i figured it doesnt crash, but sketches kan take a while to process.

My uess here would be that the newt is rasterising the sketches locally
and then sending them as big bitmaps to the 'printer', which, depending
on your connection type and speed, can take some considerable time

> 1) the newton does not print with the font specified, but with the
> default font, which is either fancy or times new roman, i believe.

The short version - the newton wants the fonts to be installed on the
printer. If they're not installed, you get either blank space or the
default font - this depends very much on the printer.

Under OSX, the 'postscript' printer is generally provided by the
printer driver, not the printer driver. If you can't install fonts to
be used with the manufacturer-supplied driver, (or you have an older
printer without OSX drivers, such as my epson 1520 with ethernet card)
you may have better luck using gimp-print
<http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3> which uses ghostscript
as its rasterising back end (as I understand it).

As to where to _get_ postscript fonts corresponding to newton fonts -
you may want to go to <http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/newton/Fonts/>
and use the fonts provided on your newton, rather than the built-in
ones. I'm not sure whether there are any postscript fonts
corresponding directly to newton fonts.

If you have a printer with a localtalk port which is supported by NPP,
you could always connect direct and do away with the OSX issue, but I
guess that's not the case.

> 4) the print job does not show up on the mac while it is sending data

Yep. the print job won't show up until it's been rasterised - the jobs
you see in your printer queue are those that have already been
rasterised and are being sent to the printer (or are queued). This is
the same as the 'wait' between printing from an OSX app and the job
apearing in the queue.

Hope this is of some help, at least in understanding _why_ things are
like they are.

Simon

--
PGP Key Id : 0x50D0698D