Re: [NTLK] a question about batteries

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 09:25:56 PDT

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:40:12PM -0600, Shannan M. wrote:
> How much better are 2400mah batteries than the Duracell batteries that
> I'm using, I can not seem to find anything on these batteries that
> lists anything to do with mah or otherwise. All that i see is do not
> dispose of in fire etc.

AA alkaline disposable batteries are about 2800 mAh, so the best of the
rechargables are *almost* as good, especially if you're a "turn on, jot
a quick note, look something up, turn off" kind of user instead of a
"surf the web via wireless from the back porch with only the backlight
for illumination" person. Alkalines a lagged power release; they deliver
the most power in light, intermittant use. NiMH are best for light to
moderate, continuous use, and you can't beat NiCads for high-drain
applications. (Anything that might drain a cell in less than an hour or
two counts here. Stuff with high-torque motors, etc.)

--
1. My Legions of Terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass visors,
   not face-concealing ones.