Re: [NTLK] [ABANDONWARE] tibet corporate edition

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 17:34:36 PDT

On Sep 30, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Luiz Petroni wrote:

> Do you know of any modern camera which has a serial interface and can
> be used with Tibet or is it possible to use a USB camera and a
> USB-Serial cable?

from what i know, there have not been any cameras with serial interface
from ca 1999-2000. its simply not very useable to have anything slower
than USB for image transfers, ever since CCDs got powerful enough for
producing 3Mpx shots. i think even USB is slow, all my pix are
transferred to the powerbook via a PCMCIA adapter. if the newton could
do that, the interface problem would be an issue. the ATA driver could
be the key, at least in the future.

for now, i think a second hand nikon coolpix 950 would probably be the
best choice. it has a 2.1Mpx CCD, which is good enough for documenting.
what makes it even more interesting is the following facts:

+ it has a housing that can be turned for self portraits, shots obove
your head etc
+ it takes regular AA's
+ its compatible w newton adapter
+ it has video out
+ its (built-in) macro functions are still unique in the market
+ it supports add-on optics (almost like SLRs)
+ its very simple to use
+ the pictures are of wonderful quality

it has the following backdraws:
- it doesnt charge rechargeable cells
- its quite slow by todays standards
- its also relatively limited function-wise

/ ®