Re: [NTLK] Pkg install via OS X webserver - default listing?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 09:58:10 PDT

On Sep 27, 2004, at 9:02 PM, Michael Blazer wrote:

> So my question is: can I get Apache to do that default listing trick
> somewhere in my Home folder rather than in /Library/WebServer/? The
> reason I want to do this is to keep my backup strategy simple - the
> more I can keep stuff in my home folder, the less I have to remember to
> back up files that are scattered elsewhere.

Of course! Use the Sites folder in your home directory and put your
pkg's there...

You can also drag and drop the file listing of the packages (from the
finder) into a Mozilla or Firefox these days (Mozilla.org) window to
create an index page for your downloads...

Being an unrepentant macintosh man, I prefer to find a GUI based way
to do things, although I know my way around the terminal also.

I run Webmin on my G3/400 Panther machine, which is my backup server
here. Webmin is not that simple to grasp, but basically it's a web
browser based utility to configure and administer many common programs
on a server (ie Sendmail,postfix, Apache,UW Imap etc...). It is
popular on Linux systems also.

I also use postfix enabler, which allows for a simple GUI setup of a
mail server...

Webmin seems to work, although one must be careful about which program
one uses to change configurations. Sometimes Webmin will undo changes
you make via Apple's GUI so you need to be aware. It's great though as
it also allows you to remotely admin your server from any web browser,
and is mighy extensible and configurable.

Hope this is somewhat useful...

Marty