Re: [NTLK] Anyone Making Public WiFi Work?

From: Sean Cross (smcross_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 12:18:01 PST

> Not necessarily *impossible*, just thus far no one that that has the
> skills to do it has found it a worthwhile project to pursue. In short,
> it's too much work. This doesn't, however, mean that anyone's going to
> discourage someone else from taking up the gauntlet if they want to
> attempt it.

Now, I've heard two responses to this. The first is that NIE is not advanced
enough to support SSL connections. This seems a bit silly to me, as that's
akin to saying that NIE isn't advanced enough to handle HTML; they're
just bits flowing, which is all NIE cares about.

The second argument is just that nobody's written an SSL library for
our green friend. Some have said that it's impossible beecause of the
speed, but I seem to remember SSL clients that ran on PalmOS devices,
and I've seen 25Mhz desktops running Linux connect via SSL.

So is the only problem that nobody's taken the time to write such a library?