Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V5 #162 keyboards

From: Adamson_at_aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 08:29:12 PDT

Clare,

I was under the impression that a bassonist needed to have somewhat larger
hands in order to "stretch" their fingers to cover the key span? If that is
true, then yes some of us guys need larger keys but the thumb keys are
entirely out of the question. One thumb can cover three or four keys. You then
have to tilt the thumbs to the side in order to lower the profile.

I, on the other hand have small hands (no jokes please), and the eMate
keyboard at 3/4 size is one that I enjoy using. While I have no problem with a
full size keyboard, the "stretch" for the numbers and function keys are
somewhat difficult as I lose the tactile touch of the home row. For those guys/gals
with more substantial fingers and thumbs anything less than a full keyboard
is not ideal.

I love Ed (the gadget guy's) idea of a touch screen similar to a sheet of
paper. I would like to see it just a little thicker with a keyboard that pulls
out. If the screen were normal paper size (8 1/2 by 11) then a full
keyboard would be possible. They have roll up keyboards now, so it seems to me to
be possible to have a full sheet of paper and a keyboard in a small enough
package. I love HWR for short inputs, but when I am working on my novel,
nothing beats a full size keyboard unless voice recognition makes a huge leap
forward, we are stuck with the keyboard.

Bob Adamson
In a message dated 3/30/2005 1:29:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,