Re: [NTLK] Anyone Making Public WiFi Work?

From: Ian (isoboroff_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 18:25:23 PDT

Actually, it isn't. A lot of armchair hackers say "Whoa, that's hard"
or "Wouldn't you have to reimplement NIE?" Occasionally someone like
Paul or Victor or Steve say that it wouldn't be trivial, and I don't
think that it necessarily would be.

It's not a matter of processor power... If my 16MHz Palm Vx can do it,
the MP2000/2100 processor can. It's certainly a problem of
integration with the rather limited network stack in NIE. But not
knowing anything there, I can't begin to guess. I would guess that
it's easier than a device driver, since protocols layer but devices
don't necessarily... but this is my experience on POSIX systems and I
don't hack the Newton enough to know.

SSL is not a complicated protocol. The encryption algorithms are not
CPU-intensive. It's certainly an integration problem.

Ian