Re: [NTLK] Advice on setting up my new eMate?

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 05:39:10 PDT

Welcome, New Newton User!

The eMate makes a fine tool for keeping random writing samples organized. It is capable of playing some games, too. I've had a few eMates, and I really like the device. I gave one to my learning-disabled niece, one to my SO, and one to her grand-daughter, keeping one for myself.

I strongly recommend that you purchase a memory upgrade card. This will improve performance and provide a bit more internal memory storage. Also, from my experience, the 4 meg PCMCIA cards seem to be the maximum size that the eMate can handle.

The transluscent green case is kind of neat and IMO would look even better with internal lighting modifications (perhaps a future goal).

One complaint: it is nearly impossible to outfit the eMate to record sounds into the Notes app, the way that other Newtons can. This is because the device does not have an internal microphone and preamplifier. You CAN record audio sounds onto a standard Newton MessagePad and then transfer the sounds to the eMate for audio playback. I think Apple purposely left the microphone input off of the device because it was intended for the education market. Also, they probably wanted consumers to pay extra for a separate sound input add-on device.

You'll find a lot of decent ebooks and apps on the Internet. Have fun!

Warmest regards,

Matt K.