[NTLK] Project: Newton Connectivity-MiniCD

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 08:42:46 PDT

Idea: Newton Connectivity-MiniCD

Dear all,

You all know the situation - sometimes you're on a trip with your=20
Newton and want to attach to some other computer, but you suffer from a=20=

strapboot lemprob (that's a reverse bootstrap problem, for all ye=20
bl00dy n00bs out there ;=3D} ): Maybe you have everything you need at=20
home or even on your Newton, but not available on the other machine (in=20=

the office, in school, in the internet caf=E9 somewhere on a vacation=20
overseas, or even at yo mama's place...), and w/o some apps on that=20
box, things no worky the way you want.

I'd stumbled across a box of MiniCD-RWs (3 inch/8 cm) that a friend=20
gave me a while ago. These have a capacity of 156 to 210 MB and can fit=20=

any Newton case that allows to take an extra PC-Card along. In a case=20
like above, it could be really useful to have one of these around with=20=

just the tools you'd need for the specific machine, whatever that is=20
(Windows, MacOS 9, Mac OS X, Linux, Next, AmigaOS,...), to get it to do=20=

what you want. Would also help to put our Newtons more "out there",=20
take 'em with us and get more mileage out of them and using other gear=20=

alongside our Newts. Plus make things easier for Newton beginners to=20
get started, taking away some of the mystique surrounding Newton=20
connectibility and stuff. I mean, why does that have to be more=20
complicated than using the Newt itself? Really not much reason for
that, is there. Well, that got me thinking...

...that was last week...

...then I thought some more this week...

...then I had a nice lunch today and finally all parts came together!=20
The very geniosity and brilliancy of it is sheer blinding, it feels=20
like you're eye-to-eye with Adriano's NewtEye (NOT recommended to do=20
unless you do it with your glass eye!).

Anyway, my idea is -- how about collectively compiling a set of such=20
tools for about every platform possible and putting that up on the Web=20=

as CD-image? That would be a Newton Connectivity Compilation, with=20
maybe the odd Newton Survival tool thrown in to round the deal off.=20
And, hey, we *do* have the Newton library where we could put it up as=20
soon as it's complete (in progress now:=20
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Software/NewtonConnectivityCD ). --=20
Sweet idea? You bet!

Now all I need is to know what apps for which platform would be=20
advisable to include in such a project... For which I need all your=20
help!

What I need from you: *** All your suggestions of

1. what to include,
2. for which platform,
3. where to get it, and
4. what it does.

Hey, maybe you'd even write a short how-to for this to help your fellow=20=

Newtonians use that stuff the right way... ***

You can submit your suggestions in two ways:

1. By adding it at the Wiki-page for this project=20
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonConnectivityCD ***=20
much preferred ***
2. By posting to NTLK as reply to this post.

Thanks for your generous help in helping me to help us all (or=20
something like it)!

Cheers,

DJV.

P.S.: I know there's a lot of pages on the Wiki on connecting stuff,=20
but what I want to have here is not a complete selection of everything,=20=

but what is actually the most useful, stable, fast and handy stuff to=20
have around. Apologies to be so difficult about this.=