Re: [NTLK] NMP 2k ethernet/comm update 2.1

From: JP (spacebar0_at_fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 05:08:52 PDT

Folks:

If you are trying to connect to a Mac running NCU via ethernet, choose=20
AppleTalk.=A0=A0Then choose other computer and let Dock find your computer.=
=20
=A0=A0Choose it from the list of available computers that is generated.=20

Woody=20

Thanks. Have only just put NCU on the OS 9. Will try that.

There's something about installing NIE and card drivers in the proper
order... Check the Newton-FAQ for pointers, also trawling the Wiki=20
might help (I'm thinking of=20
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/InterNet and=20
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MacOSXConnection as good=20
starters... there's also stuff on setting up Simple Mail, GPS,=20
Bluetooth and a gazillion other things...).=20

Yes. I had seen that (but did I copy it for ref.?) Negative. Seems I'll
have to 'uninstall' pieces, and reappply the IR...

One important thing any newcomer to the platform can do to help all the=20
community:=20
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0When you try out new stuff, keep notes where you've=
 found what=20
packages and which FAQs and How-Tos, and log every step you do. This=20
will help to retrace your steps if you're not successful on first try=20
(which is likely ;=3D} ),

Yes. See above.

 also you can create a Wikipage and populate it=20
with your log and links after you're successful, creating your own=20
How-To to help the next person who wants to try this or that. And there=20
are a lot of things that aren't covered by the Wiki yet!=20
Supporting the Wiki is especially important as a lot of things have=20
moved ahead in the last two years, and the FAQ not having been updated=20
since ages (last time I heard id would be updated was Fall 2003, but no=20
show, so I put my faith in the Wiki).=20

Something along those lines was in the plan.=20
=20
What 1 MB ceiling? Is that all internal storage left to you, or what?=20

Unit's current state.=20
=20
In any case -- Russ Bravo and Frank Gruendel still have 20 MB storage=20
cards for reasonable price (was it EUR 25,-- incl. international=20
shipment?), having one or two of those much recommended.=20

Well, when the budget allows...

You now using Firefox? If not, try it. Sleek, fast, solid -- actually=20
made the web experience bearable on my old Win PII 180 MHz 192 MB...=20

Funny you should ask. The short answer is no. Downloaded and installed.
Never came up w/admin PW...something in rotten in the state of Denmark,
methinks. Used it anyway...crashed a lot. Use Safari instead (don't
think it's crashed once) Also, Classic OS, have tried iCab, Mozilla.
Netscape 4.6 the more stable on these machines. WILL NOT USE IE.=20
Quickly...once upon a time, Robin Williams had the Little Mac Book (v.1
covering System 6...it really WAS little) her latest covering Panther is
like a phone book, just like the rest. Anyway, her coda lists various
apps used to create the book (Quark, Dreamweaver, whatever...then she
says:
"I run a Microsoft-free environment."
I like that.
I'd like to emulate that statement.<SMILEY>
=20=20
No swea', mate! And a hearty welcome again (see, I'm super-polite=20
today, 'coz I'm already droolin' after those books, hehe...),=20

D. Vollkasko=20

Me too. Caveat: may be RealSoonNow

Oh, have added NewtWorks w/HWR, WorksDraw, halsnds (wish I could make it
so something) and 'semaphore'.

Back to the IR and reinstall network components. I do know I installed
the 2 'required' first. Was just so thrilled the IR solution functioned,
got carried away (read 'sloppy')

next digest due soon. posting this now.
Will update when 'successful'.

thanks

oh, have also found Eudora 1.1 for Newt...I wonder?...

--=20
  JP
  spacebar0_at_fastmail.fm