Re: [NTLK] Project: Newton Connectivity-MiniCD

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 10:09:25 PDT

On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:21 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
<snip>
> So, we should probably look after getting the whole project to fit on a
> nicely portable, inexpensive MiniCD-RW, also on USB stick 128 MB (a
> subset) and 256 MB. You agree with this?
<snip>

No. I think it should be a regular old CDR image(ISO-9660). I don't
know what a miniCD-RW is, but I have never seen one. CD-R is common
as dirt, and works on all platforms including slot loading macs. The
memory stick thing is nice, but no biggie. People that want to use
memory stick can always mount the CD image on there machine and then
drag items to the memory stick...
<snip>

>> If we could put Linux tools for newton on a bootable live distro like
>> Damn small linux which fits on a bussiness card cd. That would be the
>> ultimate. Then we could use host x86 machine on the road or at work
>> and not have to install anything just boot up on live cd.
>
> Good job, John R.! I see your live system, and raise you by
> many-platforms-can-boot-from-CD-and-USB-stick... ;=}
This could be tough. I like the linux Live distro disk. but again I
think a regular CD is the deal. Also, This is not going to boot on
macs (obviously). Although perhaps a hybrid ISO-9660/HFS extended disk
could contain a OS9.1 system folder on it. this would work on older
macs and many X86 boxen.

> Hmh, how about (a) one tiny distro for x86 (90 % of desktop world), and
> (b) another tiny distro for PPC (60 % of Newtonia's desktops)?
> Could you provide this, and how large would each live system be? We
> don't need a full Ubuntu-distro, do we... ;=}
Not on the same disk... I really don't see boot-ability as such a bug
deal personally.

> Damn Small Linux http://www.damnsmalllinux.org clocks in at 50 MB, but
> there's a lot that could be omitted, and only the most necessary Newton
> connectibility and troubleshooting tools added. I'd prefer each live
> system to suit these specs:
> -- 20-40 MB (2x 40 MB livesystems = 80 MB; 180 MB - 80 MB = 100 MB
> left
> for OSX, Win, etc. filesystems)
> -- light GUI
> -- webtools: Firefox + basic mailclient (so you can browse UNNA et al.
>
> and post to NTLK and read replies ;=} )
This is going off track. We don't need all this crap on a Newton setup
disk. Most systems already have configured and working browsers on
them. All we need in newton connectivity. Also I think the concept of
"90%" of boxs working with this disk is a pipe dream.
> <snip>

Marty