Re: [NTLK] Project: Newton Connectivity-MiniCD

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 17:31:30 PDT

John R. wrote:
> If we could put Linux tools for newton on a bootable live distro like
> Damn small linux which fits on a bussiness card cd. That would be the
> ultimate. Then we could use host x86 machine on the road or at work
> and not have to install anything just boot up on live cd.

Other than Linux boot from CF too, i think that CF is the best way for
tranferring data, cause when a pcmcia or CF slot are not present, just
plug your CF into a usb port using a little dongle.
While a miniCD will not enter any slot-loading drive (i.e. TiBook and
Mac Mini) i always bring with me a 512MB CF plus a usb dongle with CF
slot (http://www.flashcards.co.nz/catalog/images/cf-USB-Pen.jpg) I
installed a restricted version of OS9.2.2 on this CF, then i put all
the extensions that a Newton would need in their right place in/around
the system folder, and added a good collection of 64Khz mp3 ready for
the Newton plug-in. Without the songs it would fit 128MB.

DJ Vollkasko wrote:
Adriano, what connection solutions do you use? Which are you familiar
with? Pls. add them to the Wiki-Page
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonConnectivityCD (and
provide a link to where those apps can be found and where a How-To for
those is available), there's currently only the stuff that I use
(Bluetooth to OS X, Serial+NBU to Win).

When i need to have things quickly done i just insert my PICO card on
my MP2100 and start ObEXing. Instead when i have to backup and/or
download my new song playlist for MadMax, i simply dock with the 230K
estension
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/230KSerialConnection
It's stable and fast, and i can report a backup of (a full) 4MB
internal + (a full) 6MB external done in 12 minutes (circa)

Ethernet never helped me, instead i found the WaveLan driver very
stable. I had been very in luck when i bought my Farallon 'SkyLine'
(http://wiki.uni-konstanz.de/wiki/pub/Wireless/FunkkartenGalerie/
FarallonSkyline.jpg). It let me connect with Airport graphite base to
the first attempt.

A quick note about bluetooth connectivity:
(I never read a similar report about it from other users,
so if anyone did already try it, hope would gently share his experience
here)
I succesfully paired my MP2100 and eMate using Blunt (plus a very
simple trick).
Although i found noone of the external device services discoverable, i
can send some files between them the same.

The pairing will need a very stable installation of the Blunt elements
(over a equally stable installation of the Newton connectivity
packages) to be fully functional or it wil start reporting a -48XXX
error soon.

The trick?
1. on the 1st MessagePad open the In/Out folder, click receive and
choose ObEX
2. on the 2nd MessagePad open Bluetooth Setup, click the discover
button, await until the process ends.
3. on Bluetooth Setup be sure that the name of your 2nd MessagePad is
present in the paired devices list (If not, try again the points 1 and
2)
4. pair both the MessagePads

When/if a -48XXX appears:
  - open Bluetooth Setup
  - select all the paired devices present in the list, then delete all
  - restart your MessagePad
  - stay cool, and feel funk

Adriano