[NTLK] NewtSync or Escale over serial

From: Sean Riddle (swriddle_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 21:31:23 PDT

I'm trying to connect my MP2100 over to a PowerBook over USB using a
generic USB to serial adapter and a serial-DIN8 adapter. I think I
have the driver for the USB adapter. It seems to have this chipset
whose name escapes me at the moment, that most of these things have.
This adapter in particular has the connectors covered in a light blue
plastic, similar to the fruit covered iMacs.

When I connect the Newton up to the PowerBook, it appears that the USB
adapter is recognized, because a device entry is created in /dev/.
However, when I select this in either NewtSync or Escale, the
connection just doesn't work, as if nothing is connected.

Do the serial-DIN8 adapters every need drivers? That's the only reason
I can think of for why this would not work. I think I'm close to
getting it working, and any wisdom anyone could offer would be very
helpful.

- Sean