Re: [NTLK] Re trade traffic

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 07:04:51 PDT

Russ Bravo wrote:
> Is it me, or is there rather too much trade traffic happening *on* this
> list, that really should be *off-list*?
>
> I'm all for *For Sale* or *trade* messages - I do it myself from time
> to time - but I'd strongly encourage all parties to take individual
> correspondence off-list if at all possible, as it just clogs up the
> list with stuff only of interest to two people (the seller and the
> buyer).
>
> Apologies, Victor, if I'm speaking out of turn!

No, not at all.

It lies in that I have configured the list such that you see who sent the
message in the From: header, but set the Reply-To header to the list address
so that responses to threads will automatically go back to the list instead of
the person. This, in essence, is what makes the list work.

But if you want to reply to something to the sender only, you have to copy
their e-mail address first, reply to the message, delete the To: line that
your mail client has picked up, and paste in the sender's address.

Unfortunately some people are not aware / haven't noticed / are new users and
haven't grasped this quite yet.

So anyways, Russ I agree with you, and I'd like to ask people to remember the
above when they DON'T want their replies to go back to the list.