Re: [NTLK] Cosmetic Mods for Newtons

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 10:50:38 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Cosmetic Mods for Newtons
From: Becky K <kohali () nefermoon ! com>
Date: 2005-04-14 14:02:16

[...]
>As far as my mod goes, at least for now, I'm going to paint the casing
>interior rather than installing actual gears. I'll mix it up with some
other patterns
>and show it off when I'm done.

Hm, I wonder if it would shine through if one'd glue lace to the inside
(soak with clear lacquer, stick to inside of case). I've seen the
opposite of this done: stick the lace on the outside of something and
paint it over to have some structure in the paint job...

>see about making them rotate somehow - I'd rather not pull power off
the
>battery, so I'll most likely include a crank instead if I get to it.

The crank idea is nice and not too difficult if you your what you do (I
wouldn't, thought), see http://www.heise.de/ct/machflott/projekte/55935
for a neat hack. DIY-built of old computer trash (floppy drive motor,
caps...). No batteries, either! ;=}

Now, imagine that attached to the emate... Or say you had an external
Battery Booster as was discussed last week, only with caps instead of
batts and with a crank like that. Or you'd crank-load the caps which
charge 8x AA cells, and that's then what the Newt runs off (secure
voltage!).

Cranky idea, I know, but still....

>So not many folks otherwise modify their Newtons? Is it the size that
>presents the challenge?

There's also a couple people repainted their 2x00s... Daniel did it,
then one guy got a website with a neat white case, and Ferdi sells
repainted Newts as "multicolour", or something like it. And Stefanie
M's blinky light hacks were pretty tasteful.

I think many people don't bother because their like their gear running
and don't have time for such. Also there's the quasi-religious feeling
of many that the Newt is right and perfect just the way it is (besides
the missing audio in/out ports, besides its storage and MHz
limitations, besides its weight...). (Professor M, got the camera
rolling? ;=} ).
And after all -- how high is the percentage of folks that mod their
desktops -- half a percent? That transferred to NTLK (2000 headcount)
would mean 10 people...

The mods I would like to see would be anything that'd introduce the
Newton to new areas of application -- so naturally they would be mostly
software (audio suite: Drum Machine, MIDI-karaoke player, sampler...;
SensorSuite for external probes and sensors on serial ports; Lego
Mindstorms software development kit; USB drivers/digicam
interface/remote control app + viewer for controlling a digital camera
attached to one Newton from another Newton...).

My 2 cents (EUR).

DJV.