[NTLK] eprobe or OBDII

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 11:15:43 PDT

On Apr 14, 2005, at 1:26 PM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> Still, I'd love to have a sensor-suite app on the Newt that would be
> able to
> log data from various probes and export to other apps (temp., rpm,
> pressure,...).

The way to do this would be through the OBD port, at least for recent
vehicles. It appears to be possible to simply convert this to RS232 for
the Newton serial port. I would be quite interested in this project as
I've got a persistent 'Check Engine' light that I need to debug,
looking at getting a laptop-based scan tool for about $120US. That said
I haven't got a whole load of time right now for even looking at my
engine let alone working on a Newton project like this, much as I'd
like to. Still interested in having a look at an eprobe on Sunday
though, many other applications for this sort of thing.