Re: [NTLK] MP2K1 w/Ser01 Card - case cracked

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 19:18:21 PDT

Six months after installing the Ser01 board, I noticed a 2.5cm long crack in
the bottom of my case. I twisted down that screw (the screw used to mount
to Ser001) as far as it would go, but still the board itself pushed out the
case a little bit. You can see a little droopy lip just under the serial
connector when you open the flap and look at the ports straight on.

I tried everything to remedy the problem, but to no avail. I even wrote
David about it, and he informed me that the board doesn't push out the
bottom of the case for some users, but for others (like me) it does. I
thought the plastic was malleable enough to stay in the bent position, but
it ultimately cracked. The pressure from the protruding board itself (not
the screw) caused the problem.

I haven't tried to fix the crack yet, but I have some plastic epoxy that
words wonders on everything except polycarbonate (PC). So long as the
Newton case plastic is ABS, it will work. Obviously, this epoxy will need
to be applied to the bottom, non-rubberized side to stick properly.

Best,

James W.