Re: [NTLK] Free your GPS

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 04:48:35 PDT

On Tuesday, April 19, 2005, at 01:34 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> From: Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Free your GPS
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:53:42 +0200
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> I have no experience on CF GPS, and i love its compact size,
> but i think that a serial GPS with 120mA battery drain (on full
> activity)
> is the best option when planning a long travel.

Actually the CF Haicom HI-303E that I have is 120mA as well. Their
latest CF model is the 303S, I'm sure it uses the same power. It's
just a serial interface as well.

> Another good thing about a GPS via serial connection
> is that having both pcmcia slot free you can take your maps on memory
> card
> and both have a second card for communications inserted
> (i.e. a Bluetooth card will let you have your phone paired for a
> web-sync).

This is true re: space for maps, 1x0 users would prefer serial
connection. I've used GPSLite on my 130 with a external serial port
GPS; it does work, it's not fast... Teletype might be better on the
slower units but I've not done that test.

> The above setup will drain 300mA circa from a Newton battery at all.

I'm not sure that's right...

> Some CF GPS users when they have seen the NewtNav,
> they sent me messages asking me to make a add-on
> for making their CF GPS drain less power....

I have the 2100/Haicom CF card that I use for 4+ hours at a time,
supplemented with the Newton external battery pack (clipped to my
belt). At least 4 sessions like this and I've not had to change the
batteries in the external pack.

Fro comparison, I've used my 120 and 2100 extensively as a laptop/PPP
modem connection while travelling, to telnet into my unix accounts;
keeping an external serial connection up for long always needs external
power from somewhere. I'd expect the same from this CF card, and in
fact it is about the same. For GPS (serial or CF) AND bluetooth up and
running? Definitely time for an external battery...

My point I guess is that if you are doing any GPS stuff to any
meaningful degree, you're going to have to have external power from
somewhere, whether you're using the very nice cables Adriano is
preparing, or a CF card solution. A lot of folks have handheld GPS's
already and this is a great way to add a use to it, with the new custom
cables.

I'm just not sure power consumption is a reason to shy away from the CF
card form factor based on my extensive use. Tying up a slot needed for
map storage, sure. But for hiking in/hiking out on the same path,
something like that, with highway maps even, Teletype, and works
anywhere you happen to be, without building overlays first.

Brian