Re: [NTLK] NotePhone followup

From: Paul Nuernberger (newton_at_thenuernbergers.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 21:16:33 PDT

On Monday, April 18, 2005, at 05:38 PM, Frank Gruendel wrote:

> Hi folks,
<SNIP>
> In a nutshell, the challenge is "Find the component
> that has become temperature-dependant due to old
> age". Once you tell me which component this is, a
> free 2100 or eMate will be on its way to you, generously
> padded with the finest chocolate available in
> Germany. Good luck. Might help to get hold of one of the
> old Siemens technicians...

I would look at the front end of the phone line interface circuitry and
see if there is an MOV, or similar device, used to shunt or absorb
surges in the phone line. I have seen older versions of solid-state
surge arrestors display the characteristics you describe as they age.

Standard b+ in the US is 48 volts DC BTW.

Paul Nuernberger