Re: [NTLK] MP2100 Battery Life

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 10:12:52 PDT

On Apr 23, 2005, at 11:09 PM, Zoont Foomby wrote:

> Ahhh.. The wavelan card... boon and bane. Ok. Are all WiFi cards for
> the Newton as power hungry as this old Wavelan card?
Don't know exactly, but they all do use a bunch of juice.
> If I were to get
> a newer card working would I see significantly better battery life, or
> all Wifi cards power hungry?
  I think they are all kind of hungry.

> As for bluetooth and internet setup... if anyone here has any clue as
> to how one sets up the bluetooth - to - internet bridge on Linux, I
> could use some pointers.
Hmmm, essentially you are setting up the Bluetooth interface to
reshare your TCP/IP connection using PPP. This is very similar to
doing the same over a serial port, so you might start looking there,
as there is a lot more documentation.

I also found this link here after a quick google:

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/s.zachariadis/btpalmlinux.html

> There is little helpful documentation on the
> net on the subject. Maybe I'll save myself the trouble and get an
> iBook instead of my Thinkpad
This wouldn't make sharing a bluetooth connection trivial either. There
are some scripts available the can simply it though.
> ... Also, I could suffer to try and figure
> out how to get bluetooth-to-internet working for Windows if anyone has
> any idea. I have already tried, and not been successful yet...
Don't know about that, other then it's certainly possible.

Marty