Re: [NTLK] Newton Press - error when creating package

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 15:55:31 PDT

On Apr 26, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Michael L'Heureux wrote:

> Book Maker has too steep of a learning curve

It's not that bad really, easier than HTML I thought. Much less
frustrating than Newton Press, how that ever got out the door...

> & can't do MP2K page sizes;

Isn't there a way to do this with BookMaker? I'd look in to it, but no
time right now. OK, maybe I have a little time - I found this from:

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/windows/NewtonBookmaking101

-->
It is very simple to create a Multi-format book. First you create a
bookmaker processed file as you would normally, but you alter this
output file (which is plain text file with a .f extension) before you
send it to the Newton Toolkit. You open the file in a word processor
and look for the line

// Pages
pageList := {pageSize: {left: 0, top: 0, right: 240, bottom: 318},
        contents: [], pages: []};

and then you copy from that line to the end of the document so that all
the //pages1 //pages2 //pages3 etc, commands are included and you
paste a copy to the end of the document. One copy for each extra
format. Now you just alter the size to the screen size you want (you
only need to change the 240 and 318), save the file, create a project
in Toolkit (with a unique package name, compression on, all debugging
settings off), add the bookmaker processed file to the project, build a
package, and install on your Newton are set. The various screen sizes
are as follows:

Classic-right: 240, bottom: 302
MP2000-Portrate-right: 298, bottom: 388
MP2000-Landscape-right: 414, bottom: 276
Emate-Portrate-right: 302, bottom: 436
Emate-Landscape-right: 464, bottom: 282
<--

Give it a whirl. I set out to learn the art of Newton bookmaking, and
ended up with a great knowledge of knots. Lots of fun.