Re: [NTLK] Looking for various TeleType GPS and GPS Map packages...

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 11:42:44 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Looking for various TeleType GPS and GPS Map
packages...
From: "Johannes Wolf" <mp2100 () mail-gw ! estec ! esa ! int>
Date: 2005-04-28 7:56:27

> DJ,
>
> the released in 2004 freeware GPSMap version 2.1 is on UNNA, I
> downloaded it
> from there...
> If you still cannot find it and the related Maps as well, fell free to
> contact me off list.

So sorry to be difficult, Johannes --

but what I'm looking for is *not* GPS Map 2.1 Full Version for NOS 2.1.
I'm looking for any or all of these items:

        (1) TeleType GPS maps, more specifically: any non-US/non-Canada maps
(US and Canada are at UNNA), if those were ever available (Europe and
Australia, maybe? Perhaps even single countries?). -- TT GPS was also
released as freeware in 2003 or 2004.

        (2) Last available full version of GPS Map for NOS 1.x (i.e. NOT GPS
Map Lite 1.2.9 (NOS 1.x); NOT GPS Map 2.1 (NOS 2.x ONLY)).

        (3) Any maps that used to be available for GPS Map (I understand
that if you bought the CD-version for NOS 1.x/2.x, you also got a batch
of
maps and stuff that have never made it to www.soaring.de or UNNA --
like GPS
Map Tools 1.0 -- I'm looking for these maps and any other extras...)

        (4) Haven't had that in my previous post: If anybody has ANY maps
(home-made or other) that are based on public domain mapping sources
(e.g.
all US maps based on U.S. Survey sources...), I'd also love to make them
publicly available.

        (5) And lastly -- looking for anything on these applications: MapPad
(from Australia, can't find the company who did that - abandonware?),
TripMate (eMate-application "by Rochelle Rogoff", couldn't get in
touch, either - abandonware?) , GPS Display (Spain 1997, announced as
freeware on CreaTec-website - anybody ever seen this?) and FieldWorker
(mid-90ties, company still around -
still being marketed?). There's not much on these apps on the 'net, and
nothing at UNNA.

The GPS stuff is somewhat cluttered all over the web (if still online at
all...), and UNNA is messy, too, so whatever is available anywhere is
not
easy to find.
        I'm trying to make getting into the GPS-thing a bit easier. Besides
unearthing GPS Map Tools 1.0 for GPS Map for NOS 1.x last week, I've
also
started another thing: A list of all Newton GPS software I know or read
of,
and of all receivers tested successfully with Newtons.
        See http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSOnNewton for a
modest start (2 GPS mice, 2 CF cards, 1 PCMCIA card).

All additions much appreciated -- also to the other GPS pages, and the
GPS
FAQ-sections.

Thanks,

DJV.

P.S.: Talking about FAQ and stuff -- what ever became of the Newton-FAQ
update announced for Fall 2003? Has that been infinitely postponed, or
only
cancelled?