Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Connectivity to a PowerBook

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 09:20:40 PDT

On Aug 1, 2005, at 6:14 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2005, at 3:21 AM, hemantkamat_at_eth.net wrote:
>
>> Can I connect my MessagePad 2K with a 3COM 3C589D card to my TiBook=20
>> (1.0Ghz Gigabit Ethernet) running OS9? I wish to connect via a=20
>> standard/crossover ethernet cable, without using a 10Mbps hub.
>> Thanks=20=
>
>> a lot!
>>
> I don't think so, not without a hub. I have never had any success
> with=20=
>
> a Mac PowerBook to a Newton via ethernet without a hub. You can try
> it,=20=
>
> if you want, but it's weird stuff. The PowerBook doesn't officially=20
> need a crossover cable, but it's running at a much faster speed=20
> natively than the 3Com card, and that mismatch, or so it seems to
> me,=20
> is what causes your problems.
No that's not the problem. You can go ahead and try with a crossover or
a straight through cable, the tibook should automagically select. I
think that booted from OS9 that might even work.

If not, then a hub or router will help. This problem seems to be
related to the timing of the Newton bringing it's interface up. When
the newton brings the interface up, the software on the mac isn't ready
as it hasn't seen the connection yet. The hub or router, fixes this,
by giving the mac something to connect to so all of the software is up
and ready to go when the Newton comes up...

Good Luck,
Marty