Re: [NTLK] Tapwave is dead

From: Brian G. (briansnewton_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 19:26:07 PDT

Just like the Newton, the Zodiac was an innovative device with an
outspoken and dedicated community. It's hard not to draw comparisons
between the Newton and Zodiac. I agree 100% with Jerry Tom's points.
Both the MP2x00 and Zodiac share:

- Landscape and portrait friendly layout
- Dual expansion slots
- 480X320 resolution
- At least one engineer, Bob Ebert, worked on both the Newton and Zodiac

Here's a photo of my MP2100 and Zodiac 2 side by side for comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/briang/6462533/in/set-115729/

Although the Zodiac was originally designed for gaming, it excels as a
multimedia device (movies, music, ebooks, audiobooks/Audible.com), a
web/email tablet, traditional PDA, and digital camera companion/photo
viewer. Salling Clicker and the Zodiac really rock together.

Soon after the Zodiac's very limited online and retail rollouts and UK
expansion, Tapwave faced the impending release of the PSP and Nintendo
DS which drew hardcore gamers. Sony and Nintendo both have the deep
pockets necessary to finance huge marketing campaigns while Tapwave's
marketing was severely limited due to a shoestring budget (they were a
small private startup). It was pretty tough for Tapwave to draw the
big name game developers needed to create 1st rate titles with an very
small installed user base, and once the PSP and DS were announced, the
large developers were dedicating their resources to cranking out
titles for the PSP and DS. By the time Tapwave realized it was "game
over" for the Zodiac as a gaming device and they shifted the Zodiac's
marketing as a "multimedia console", it was apparently too late for
them to turn things around. Tapwave tried to secure more financing and
attempted to shift to an OEM business model as design house when the
end drew near. Those plan either fell through or didn't stop the
bleeding fast enough to keep Tapwave's creditors at bay.

It's really sad that a small startup who tried to burst into the
"white space" mobile gaming market couldn't survive. I'm sure a lot of
blood, sweat, tears, and personal sacrifice went into their
entrepreneurial venture, and now a company that once employed thirty
or so employees is being liquidated, leaving Zodiac owners to fend for
themselves.

Upon seeing my Zodiac for the first time and witnessing its
capabilities, friends and co-workers are amazed at its sleek design
and excellent range of capabilities. It's too bad the Zodiac didn't
get the widespread exposure and recognition it deserves.

I'll continue to use my Zodiac until another innovative device comes
along that combines the spirit and DNA of both the Newton and Zodiac.

If someone ever decides to write a book documenting Tapwave's story, I
have a spot reserved in my library right next to Defying Gravity.

Brian

On 7/30/05, Jerry Tom <jerrytommygal_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Actually the Zodiac is an excellent machine. I have
> one and will buy backups - pretty much as I did with
> the Newton. Strangely, it seems to me the one Palm
> alot of Newton users could bond with.
> Luckily we no longer freak out when our beloved PDA is
> discontinued.
>=20
> What is so good about it?
> 1. Form factor. Though it was touted as a gaming, its
> gaming hardware actually boost the PDA side of it -
> graphics accelerator card, design, controls, metal
> case etc. When i whip out my Zodiac at business
> meetings, everyone drools!
> 2. 2 card slots - like the Newt
> 3. Cool launcher
> 4. Dedicated community
>=20
> I still have my Newtons and will start using them
> again when I can hotsync properly with my iBook...

--=20
Tapwave Zodiac 2 & Newton MessagePad 2100 Owner
Visit www.tapland.com, the first Zodiac community.