Re: [NTLK] Email Notes and NewtWorks (& Newtsync)

From: Jon Scordia (jscordia_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 00:53:53 PDT

Domi wrote:

>by the way, it seems that newtsync refuses to sync some notes, for
>whichever reason...

This my non-scientific theory!

The Newton appears to name a note or a Newtworks doc for you, based on not only the name you've given the file (if you have done so) but it also takes the first few letter of text in the actual document and fills out a file name up to quite a few characters. While in either app, click on the overview dot and you can see these helpful descriptive file titles. I can see why this was done. Lazy folk like me never title files properly, but can still find them easily.

However if within the first few lines of that document you've used certain characters such as dots, backslashes etc, Newtsync gets confused on trying to read the file and hangs. I suppose its a Unix thang!

The workround seems to be to give the file a good descriptive title and or heading without any OS type characters for a sufficient number of letters.

Worse still if you use a series of short words/sentences seperated by lines as a header for a note as I was, for instance:

File ref xxx
Date
Job reference
Title

The Newton files this as 'file ref xxx.date.job reference.title.'

So that doesn't work.

For any diagrams, it cleverly grabs any text and strings them together with three...dots...between...each...word!

Since I've watched those file names all has been well.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jon.