Re: [NTLK] Looking for ATA/Compact Flash advice.

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 00:18:56 PDT

On 8/5/05 3:45 PM, "ADyson" <ADyson_at_Rogers.com> wrote:
> I don't find the ATA card slower at all.

I have a 32MB CF card (pulled from my PowerShot G5) with PCMCIA adapter and
a 32MB Linear to compare. The Linear is much, much faster. Maybe its just
me, but that is what I've found. I even tried my IBM MicroDrive 1GB in the
PCMCIA adapter. It was slower than the 32 ATA card because it spins down
occasionally. The Microdrive is faster when it isn't spinning down, but it
spins down and up alot!

I talked to the author of ATA Support about this (since I'm a paying
customer) and he mentioned to me about a year ago that there were things on
the code that could be tweaked to improve performance. Don't know if there
have been any tweaks of late though. I don't think so.

At any rate, since I have a 32MB Linear and 8MB Linear now, I don't rely
much on the ATA. It's simply too much slower to warrant every day use. So
I use it for backups. Cheap ATAs are great for that. Just start it up and
night and when I awake, the backup is done.

Best,

James Wages