Re: [NTLK] Stowaway keyboards

From: Grant Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 09:48:01 PDT

On Aug 9, 2005, at 9:38 AM, Starnes, Douglas wrote:

> Is there a list of what variants of the Stowaway keyboard work with
> Daniel
> Padilla's driver

The list is:

* Stowaway Keyboard for Palm m100 (Think Outside Part No. P10713U)
* Stowaway Keyboard for Palm III/VII (Think Outside Part No. P170-1101)
* Palm Portable Keyboard m100/III/VII (Palm Part No. PCS-PDA-2112)

Think Outside is selling limited numbers of their "vintage" keyboards
direct off their site:

http://www.thinkoutside.com/products/vintage/vintage_product.html

> I see that Think Outside has these keyboards for USB, Bluetooth, IR,
> and
> their XT version. I want to get a Stowaway, but everything I have read
> about these seems to indicate that I need to get one of the 'vintage'
> ones
> or a Palm III or a Palm V or something.

This is correct.

> Could I not just get the USB on and construct an adapter to the MP's
> Serial
> port.

This will not work because each keyboard has a slightly different key
map and encoding. This isn't to say that the Stowaway driver couldn't
be modified to accept signals from different keyboards. Electrically,
you cannot simply adapt a USB device and have it work with the Newton's
serial port.

> Does the portable model (for the iPaq - the $30 one) work with this
> driver.

Short answer... no. See the above list.

g.