[NTLK] Mainboard replacment: Serial Number

From: newton_at_allaboutjake.com
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 08:54:23 PDT

I know the answer to this question already, but I figure that asking
obvious questions is pretty standard, so why can't I do it too? :)

I'm about to replace my mainboard due to an audio amp problem. I
understand that there's a serial number IC somewhere on the mainboard. My
guess is that is probably a supporting IC with unique ID or some other
stand-alone read-only unique ID type device. I'm not in the mood to hunt
it down, desolder tiny surface mount components, and probably do more
damage than good.

Has anyone done anything like patch ROM_GetSerialNumber to return a
different serial number?

Basically, I don't want to lose some of the software I've registered thats
hooked to that unique ID. Though I kind of would rather have working
audio, so I might just bite the bullet and deal with it.

Take care,
Jake