Re: [NTLK] Definitive List of Newton 2100 Unique Capabilities

From: Nicolas Roard (nicolas.roard_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 07:59:27 PDT

On 8/19/05, John Hay <OceanCity_at_mac.com> wrote:
> I have done lots of reading and research regarding the strengths and
> weaknesses, rise and fall, and history of the Newton from '93 to '98,
> but fail to have come across a definitive clear outline or list of
> all the specific tasks which the Newton 2100 does that other PDA's
> [such as Palm] to this day do NOT.
>=20
> Clearly, the handwriting recognition capabilities would be listed, at
> or close to the top of the list, however, as even non-Newton users
> seem to have unanimously capitulated to this one particular point
> objectively, there remain other tasks which the Newton can perform
> which other PDA's do not perform whatsoever. One example I believe
> might be the ability to fax, rotate display orientation, commingle
> data , etc.
>=20
> Anyway, I'm looking for a link someone might know to a know list or
> outline of specific items that the 2100 does that "most" other PDA's
> DON'T.
>=20
> Thanks, over and out ;-)

I would say that it's not completely about the *features* themselves, but m=
ore
about the user interface / workflow / cooperation between apps, having data
at the center of the user experience instead of apps.

The average PocketPC probably have more features than the Newton has,
but the Newton feel much better to use.

For example, you can mix diagrams and text in PocketPC word app... but it's=
 just
not as good and not as simple/easy to use as on the Newt. Even if the
features are
"the same".

The UI just feels better and normal.. WindowsCE is an atrocity, and
even if PalmOS is better, NewtonOS is much, much better.

The newton hardware itself has some very nice things, even compared to
todays pda, like the ability to use standard batteries, two pcmcia
card slots.. And a big screen, which frankly change a lot how you can
use a PDA. And persistant memory, even without batteries, which is
just so great that it's rarely mentionned here, probably because it
feels so normal :-) (and yet, most pocketpc/palm don't have it, and
it's a pain).

--=20
Nicolas Roard
  -Arthur C. Clarke