Re: [NTLK] OT who invented the GUI

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 20:14:20 PDT

Sushi wrote:
> Again, you might want to take a trip down memory lane and compare the
> two OS: the PARC GUI and the first Mac OS.
OS? who gives a rip about the OS/API's in qustion, I thought we were
talking about who came up with the GUI? Once someone has designed
something and PROVEN it can be done then anything anyone else does is
simply a copy of the concept. different implementation, different look
and feel don't matter.

The real gruntwork is in proving that something CAN exist. not in
copying it (<sigh> not to say that copying / reinventing is all of a
sudden easy blah, blah, blah.) creating something from nothing IS harder
than doing it again.

> Then you would clearly see that they were very different. Apple was
> very innovative in creating a simple to use GUI based on a one button
> mouse.
which BTW I've ALWAYS hated. with a single button you can only do one
thing. pressing another key stroke with the other hand means I now need
to move both hands to do one thing. waste of time, I'd rather not have
to remove my hands from the keyboard but if I do then I want to do what
I want to do with a minimum of activity (I've moved one hand and thats
enought). personal preference? yes but then it IS a preference.

> Additionally, Apple did not get the GUI code. Rather they got to
> explore the idea.
Never claimed they did.

> This is much different than what Microsoft did when they created their
> Windows GUI. They received 3 Mac prototypes to use for development of
> their programs such as Excel.
M$ is not in the business of CREATING anything but wealth, never have
been. as I said above it really hard and expensive to do something
first, it even requires REAL creativity and really thinking hard about
doing it. Neither has ever been microscofts forte'

> I remember seeing the Windows APIs the first time and having to do a
> double take because they were almost the same as the Mac OS.
business as usual. <yawn> so what's new.

> Now with Longhorn (Vista) I find it very funny how one of their senior
> folks recently tried to explain how Apple has ripped off their ideas.
> Yeah right. Apple already has their OS working and deployed. Yet
> somehow they ripped off the ideas from an OS that still has yet to make
> it to market. Give me a break.
I've neither seen nor heard about anything in long-in-the-tooth that is
inherently better or newer that the object oriented environment that was
available in IBM's OS/2 ver 2.x of what? almost 20 years ago. or in
apollo computer corps networking functionality in Domain IX of what?
over 20 years ago.

If you recast old stuff as new to folks who where crapping in their
pants when it was around the first time then it looks new all over again.

back to the original point: Xerox INVENTED the GUI, they made one WORK,
FIRST, period. THAT was MY whole point. mouse buttons, api's are
implementation details. GUI is a CONCEPT.

I'm done with this thread as we are now so far off newton topics that
I'm sure that no one here really cares

ps if you want to see another example of this whole thing then do a bit
of research on the ADC hyperlinks and processor interconnects. then read
about a little known iten called a transputer of, what? 20 years ago.
it's all like the movie industry when you can't think of something new
then just remake what worked before.