[NTLK] Hammer Lady Saga

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 04:22:13 PDT

Thanks to fellow member for doing what I should have for posting a
"TinyURL" to the 1984 page as thus:
>> http://tinyurl.com/ap2gl

Re: The Anya Story . . . . .

Okay, sure. I actually "started" to revamp the page to put back the
Anya story yesterday, but then ended up having to set up an old dual
G4 QuickSilver PowerMac as a dedicated Legacy OS9.2.2 box for Newton
serial connections using a KeySpan USB to Serial dongle. Once I
successfully got Classic us and running as the boot system (as
opposed to running Classic under OSX which was my intent to avoid
doing) I installed the KeySpan OS9 software driver okay, but then
when I went to install the NCU (and I tried about 6 different
versions of it from various servers) I kept getting an "installation
in progress" pop-up window on my Classic screen when installing NCU
and it would never proceed any further so now I'm pulling out my few
remaining hairs over some stupid tiny issue that I can't seem to see
or find. Next I'll try dumping the dongle, pulling the G4 internal
modem card, and swapping in one of the GeeThree Stealth Serial Boards
to see if this cinches the deal. <aaarrrggghhh!> All I want to
know is "why isn't anything ever easy" and have to keep reminding
myself that "if it were . . . . anyone could do it" ;-)
John

p.s. I'l try to get back to Anya and update the page as referenced
below when I can. It's a sad, interesting story of fame, fortune,
and then fall from grace.