Re: [NTLK] Apple Seeks Handwriting Recognition Expert - We Can Dream, Can't We?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 11:22:33 PDT

On Aug 24, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Michael C. Wittmann wrote:
<snip>
> Based on something I read, there was a lot of recoding needed to make
> Inkwell work with OS X rather than OS 9 (they completed both
> projects, but only one shipped). I would guess that they used PowerPC
> specific information. With a move to Intel chips, they would need
> someone to recode appropriately.
I don't think this is true AT ALL. OS9 was inappropriate for this type
of tech, as it wasn't really pre-emtive multi-tasking wise. This kind
of screws up handwriting recognition.

It seems almost impossible that inkwell needs to be recoded for future
macs, although certainly optimizations could be added for Intel based
SSE type feature.
> Who knows. I, for one, have seen
> enough Tablet PCs in use and heard enough excellent feedback from
> people at conferences I need to know that there's a growing demand/
> desire for them.
The market is still tiny and many of the vendors who jumped on the band
wagon when MS rolled it out have lost big $.

> OS X on a tablet would be incredible. And Apple has
> been known to keep its options open, as the move to Intel suggests.
> If the market matures, they will have something there, don't you think?
Seems like a possibility to me. Only time will tell.

A large format for graphic designers would be a killer Apple product
IMO. Something you could draw on...

Marty