[NTLK] SMTP 501 auth. error using SimpleMail 4.3

From: Tom McDougal (tmcdougal_at_newted.org)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 23:42:37 PDT

I'm getting a "501 malformed auth input (#5.5.4)" error from my SMTP
server, trying to use SimpleMail 4.3. I've got smtp authentication
turned on and my proper username and password entered. All I'm trying
to do is send. In the trace generated by the debug version, I notice
that the base-64 response from the Newton is pretty short, 10 chars
followed by "==". Any suggestions?

By the way the server offers "AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN" and
SimpleMail responds "AUTH CRAM-MD5" which the server accepts.

Thanks.

-Tom McDougal