Re: [NTLK] New Apple user need suggestions!

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 14:17:45 PDT

On Aug 31, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Robert Serna wrote:

> I'm finally making the jump from Dell Latitude LS / win98 to the 12" =
> Powerbook G4 and wanted to find out how easy of a transition it
> would be to =
> set up to do backups & pkg installs? I've had no big issues with my
> Dell but =
> remember I'm a new Mac user now! No idea of operating system etc...
> Anybody =
> has good suggestions of OS10 books to read to a very new user? I've
> been =
> reading the Wikiwikinewt suggestions (which is great!) and
> Newtontalk via my =
> MP2100 but think I need to understand a little more about OS10!
> Thank you =
> for any suggestions and I cant wait till I get my new Powerbook!
> Robert

Robert,

Welcome! You can do backups for free using Carbon Copy Cloner which
does a good job and can make the backup bootable or you can use a
more full featured commercial solution. Check here for all manner of
software solutions:

http://www.macupdate.com/

Package installs typically are very easy and handled for you. When
you download a package (especially using Safari) it is unpacked
automatically and the disk image mounted. Installation is either drag
and drop on the Applications folder or an installer program that runs.

I learned OS X by playing with it, so I can't recommend any books.
However, there is a good selection in the book store including a OS X
for Dummies and Missing Manual types. Check out your nearest large
box book store to see what's there.

--
Mark Ross
markr13_at_verizon.net